COCINA, a U.S.-based 501(c) charitable organization partners with Institution Univers and Univers Medical Center in Ouanaminthe, Haiti. COCINA provides the Haiti-based ministries with financial and management support, mission team organization, and economic development expertise and strategies.
“Built on the foundation of Jesus Christ, this generation of Haitian young men and women will glorify God in their country by cultivating a New Day of Spiritual, Intellectual, Economic, and Social Change.”
We view Haiti through the eyes of God and believe that He desires the best for the people of Haiti. We believe that, with God’s help, our students are the answer to the future of Haiti. We believe we must do everything we can to cultivate an environment where they can be the agents of change in their country. We believe it must be a grassroots effort to realize this vision. This is our greatest motivation and desire.
SPIRITUAL: We are, unapologetically, a Christian school. Therefore, we incorporate Christ and Christian values into everything we do, believing that these strong Christian roots will have a positive impact on their country, spiritually.
INTELLECTUAL: Our students are some of the brightest in Haiti and have excelled in the national testing above so many of their peers. Not only do they excel in elementary and high school, but also in college. We have our first high school graduating class graduating from college this year, with many of them located in U.S. schools and many of those graduating with honors. We desire to continue to produce these kinds of students.
SOCIAL: We have lost students and parents of students to illnesses that would easily be overcome in the U.S. When we first started, there was one doctor for every 100,000 people in Ouanaminthe. That is the motivation of the clinic, now serving 1000s who previously received no healthcare. We see many social issues besides healthcare, and are attempting to instill new social values for cleanliness, community pride, and other public health issues into our students so they can pass these on to the next generation.
ECONOMIC: As our students progress through high school, college, and vocational school, we want them to realize that education is a means and not an end. They must be the ones to use all that God has given them to make an economic difference in their country. You may have heard the expression, “teach a man to fish…” But, if there are no fish in the pond, what can one do? That is why we are working to provide economic opportunities for our students.
COCINA’s Statement of Faith
- There is one true God, eternally existing in three persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit – each of whom possesses equally all the attributes of Deity and the characteristics of personality.
- The Bible is God’s written revelation and is uniquely and fully-inspired by the Holy Spirit and was written without error in the original manuscripts. It is the supreme and final authority in all matters in which it speaks.
- Jesus Christ is God, the living Word, who became flesh through His miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit and her virgin birth. Hence, He is perfect Deity and true humanity united in one person forever.
- Jesus Christ lived a sinless life and voluntarily atoned for the sins of humanity by dying on the cross as a substitute, thus satisfying divine justice and accomplishing salvation for all who trust in Him alone.
- Jesus Christ rose from the dead in the same body, though glorified, in which He lived and died.
- Jesus Christ ascended bodily into heaven and sat at the right had of God the Father, where He, the only mediator between God and humanity, continually makes intercession for His own.
- We were originally created in the image of God. In Adam, we sinned by disobeying God. Thus, we were alienated from our Creator. That historical fall brought all humankind under divine condemnation.
- Our human nature is corrupted, and we are thus totally unable to please God on our own. Everyone is in need of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit.
- Our salvation is wholly a work of God’s free grace and is not the work, in whole or part, of human works or goodness. God imputes His righteousness to those who put their faith in Christ alone for their salvation, and thereby justifies them in His sight.
COCINA’s Foundational Bible Verse
“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
The Word of God is the Hope for Haiti!
This photo is of an old Haitian pastor who has been faithful to the Word for many years. What a wonderful example as we seek God’s will in our work in Haiti.